Built in response to the Public Health Acts of 1848 and 1875, the Ladywell Playtower baths was completed in 1884 and became one of the first public swimming pools in the country. In its prime it attracted thousands of local people, but it closed following a serious fire in 2006, and has since then fallen into disrepair. We are acting for Goldsmiths University of London, one of four potential new owners of the site, preparing proposals for conversion of the existing building into a new arts department for the University. Our scheme creates small but important interventions in the existing fabric of the Listed Building, alongside a significant new rear extension at basement, ground and first floors, to house additional artist’s studios. Parts of the building will be available for use by the local community including a new double-storey café in the heart of the plan, and a new public thoroughfare is proposed through the site to provide a shortcut for existing residents, and help animate the garden spaces. A second phase is being considered, comprising new-build development in the open space between the Playtower and Coroner’s Court, which could help provide some additional finances to repair the listed fabric.