Savoy Hill House was originally constructed as a late Victorian apartment building, but was acquired by the Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET) in 1909 to form their central London staff facilities.
Each end was rebuilt after wartime bombing (interestingly, from both world wars) and the original brick crosswall construction became inter-laced with a mixture of timber and concrete floors with inadequate services and outdated interiors.
Although not listed, the historic elevations made a strong contribution to the local conservation area, so major interventions (to create a new entrance at grade) and external repairs and replacement windows needed painstaking attention to detail. Internally, the scheme involved stripping the building back to shell space; making a series of bold structural changes to improve access and spaciousness, and then refitting new interiors within the constraints of the masonry frame. Our interventions introduced a new 2,100m2 of lettable space into the combined 3,900m2 gross internal area; securing a promising future for this historic property.